Scent Control Tips for Whitetail Deer Hunting
Whitetail deer are notoriously difficult to hunt. They have an incredible sense of smell, and can easily detect the slightest human scent.
If you’re serious about whitetail deer hunting, you need to take steps to control your scent. Here are some tips to help you do just that:
1) Avoid using heavily scented soaps, shampoos, and colognes when you hunt. If you must use them, do so sparingly and make sure to wash thoroughly before heading out. Get rid of that stinky air freshener in your truck. No need to smell like a Pina colada!!
2) Invest in some quality scent-control clothing. This includes items like coveralls, hats, gloves, and boots that have been treated with a scent-eliminating spray. ScentLok and other popular carbon and high tech fabrics can make a real difference in your scent signature.
3) Store your hunting clothes in a sealed container with a handful of an odor absorbing or cover scent dryer sheets. This will help mask your scent even further. The sealed container will also keep out all the foreign scent you are trying to avoid.
4) Take extra care when handling your weapons and other gear. Wipe them down with a cloth dampened with scent-eliminating spray before heading out into the woods.
- OZONE ODOR ELIMINATOR MACHINE: The OZ Radial Nano uses ozone technology to naturally remove almost all types of odors. This portable ozone generator was designed to quietly seek out and remove odors in its path. Our CycleClean technology allows the generator to moderate output, which helps achieve maximum efficiency and battery life. Designed for use in unoccupied spaces.
- SCENTS DON’T STAND A CHANCE: The generator is a perfect fit for campsites, closets, small-sized rooms, and other close quarters. The OZ Radial Nano has a 360-degree output for optimum ozone dispersal, and it has 4 operating modes: regular, max, regular cycle, and max cycle. The rechargeable battery lasts for up to 4 hours, and the USB charging port lets you charge the device for reuse.
- PORTABLE & EASY TO USE: Press the button once to activate regular mode, twice to activate max mode, three times to activate regular cycle mode, and four times for max mode. To turn off the device, press and hold the button for 3 seconds. The included tether strap allows you to hang the unit anywhere you need it. OZ products are not for in-the-field-use and are designed for use in unoccupied spaces.
- NEUTRALIZE & CONTROL HOUSEHOLD ODORS: The OZ Radial Nano isn’t just great for eliminating the scent from your hunting gear or cabin. It’s also great for tackling additional household or interior odors in everyday life. Our customers have used OZ Radial Nano to reduce strong odors from cars, stubborn pet stains, and even the room of a particularly messy teenager or two.
- SCENTLOK HUNTING GEAR: ScentLok has used scientific principles to innovate tough outdoor gear with scent-controlling technology since 1992. We strive to be the leading worldwide designer, marketer, and distributor of performance, hunting, and casual odor-controlling apparel, equipment, and accessories. You can trust our gear to stay strong during any season or pursuit.
5) Use an ozone generator or keep a supply of activated charcoal on hand to help eliminate odors around your campsite. Ozone generators do work but remember it is not healthy to be exposed to ozone for long periods of time. Ozone will also cause rubber in boots and bands to deteriorate so pay close attention to their exposure.
As you can see, there are a few different ways to control your scent when hunting whitetail deer. Some of these methods are more effective than others, but it really depends on the situation. If you’re serious about hunting deer, then you need to be serious about controlling your scent. Try out a few of these methods and see what works best for you.
Featured Image Credit – Photo by Skyler Ewing: link